Friday, August 24, 2007

Sunday Bike Ride

The boys from the Trek Sunday Ride called this morning. They want me to come out and play on Sunday. Seems they are planing to go "round the island" which is basically a 65 mile ride from Estero Coconut Point Mall to Bonita Beach then along the Gulf to Ft. Myers Beach passing Lover's Key then on to Six Mile Cypress then back to the Mall.

The only problem this should only take 3.5 hours, but my kids are here and I don't want to leave them on a Sunday... plus at the down side of the Ft. Myers Beach bridge the race starts (40 mile mark) the 3 Columbian's, Mr. Trek Store and the English guy put the hammer down. The speeds increase to 26 to 28 mph. I get dropped at about 26 or so mph. Then it's a lonely ride with just a few people taking their turn at the front pulling. I can do fine if they keep the speed at 24-26 especially since I'm recovering and I missed riding last weakend because of my procedure and the Disney trip. Hey now family is getting in the way of my training just like my job gets in the way.

I had a good ride this morning 25 miles while the kids slept. Hopefully I'll get to swim at lunch time. So I think I'll just do the Saturday Mall Ride which consists of 3 or 4 times around a 10 mile course with the last loop being the real race. Since I'm an old grandmother I don't really feel like racing so maybe just the short Sat ride will work for this tired old girl! Then I can do a long run on Sunday and then maybe to the beach for some open water swimming while the grans play on the beach!

Tonight we are going to Buca di Peppo!

5 comments:

Erina Hart said...

Hello, Suzie!

How long have you been interested in cycling? Do you often race other cyclists?

Suzie said...

Heyas Erina

I've been cycling about 5 years. The weakend rides I do with the boys often turns into a race though that is not the Trek store's intent. The ride is suppose to be a friendly ride of 20 to 22 mph.

I run about 24 miles, swim 3 or 4 times and cycle 150 miles a week on an average week. I try to squeeze in some weight traing and a round or two of golf each week as well and some tennis maybe.

Anonymous said...

A 25 mile bike ride and a lunchtime swim?! That's dedication and healthy choices.

My definition of exercise is the sprint from my kitchen to my study, with a plate of food. This may not seem like exercise, but if you've ever seen my dogs, believe me, the whole point is being able to eat faster than they can beg! :P

You keep cycling. I'll make sure the earth isn't felled by an over-abundance of chocolate. It's a hard job, eating all that chocolate, but somebody's gotta do it.

PS
Love your profile!

Erina Hart said...

Suzie, I admire the fact that you are so dedicated to cycling. I don’t think I could ride for fifty to sixty miles. It seems like a great accomplishment.

Now, I do love swimming. It is great to hear that you too enjoy the pool (or ocean for that matter). It is a very soothing way to pass the time.

You play golf? That is interesting. I have never played before.

I hope you don’t mind my linking to your blog. I feel I will probably become a regular :o)

someone else said...

I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I brought one of those stovetop coffee pots home from Italy, too. They're kind of fun.